Sunday, January 4, 2009

Shopping Spree

This year, my new year's resolution is to shop smarter. I don't mean shop cheaper or become and sale rat. When I say shop smarter, I mean only buy timeless and classic items. Pieces that I can fill my closet with and love for multiple seasons and many years to come. With the economy the way that it is, stores are full of clearance sales and mark-downs to distract you from the truly great pieces. If a blouse originally priced at $150 is suddenly now $19.99, it is only a good deal if you love it enough to pay the $150. If you wear it once and then pitch it, that is a waste of your time, energy, and money.

Today I had my first shopping spree of 2009 and I am happy to say that I have not broken my goal. I stopped by Target for a few things and saw the entire Thakoon line, yet realized I should attempt to control my Target spending and save up for a nicer purchase. Later, I stopped into J.crew and found some great sale items in my size. Instead of purchasing the items right then and there, I edited them down to two and had her put them on hold for me. I continued to shop and finally ended at Kate Spade.
I have been eye-ing this Savi dress ever since I saw it last August. Originally marked at $395, I decided to wait until I had the perfect place to wear it. When I walked into the store today to see only one left... in my size and (the best part) 70% off, I had to get it. 100% silk and fit like a glove, I didn't want to take it off. I suddenly forgot about my final sale items at J.crew. And paired with pearls and a polished updo, what a perfect Valentine's Day Dinner Date outfit is this?

My adorable mother on the other hand, couldn't resist the Spring Island Roslyn Dress:


photo via kate spade

No comments: